The national infrastructure interconnecting all the points of presence at a transfer rate of one or 10 Gigabit/s allows institutions for education, research and culture connected to one of the Gigabit points of presence to benefit from a very high bandwidth national network.
The topology of the current backbone network includes 12 points of presence (POP).
- POP RESTENA (Luxembourg-Kirchberg)
- POP BCE (Luxembourg-Kirchberg)
- POP Limpertsberg (Luxembourg-Limpertsberg)
- POP Université Campus Limpertsberg (Luxembourg-Limpertsberg)
- POP Campus Geesseknaeppchen (Luxembourg-Hollerich)
- POP Centre-Ville (Luxembourg-Centre)
- POP CCRN (Luxembourg-Centre)
- POP Rollingergrund (Luxembourg-Rollingergrund)
- POP Université Campus Walferdange (Walferdange)
- POP Diekirch
- POP Ettelbruck
- POP Bettembourg
- POP Esch-sur-Alzette
The national network is mainly an interconnection of campus-type networks at a rate of 1 to 10 Gigabit/s based on optical multiplexing technologies.
Currently, over 50 100Mbit/s and Gigabit/s connections are operational in the City of Luxembourg mainly on the Geesseknaeppchen Campus and in the Limpertsberg area, and in the cities of Diekirch, Ettelbruck and Esch/Alzette.